928 Main Street $599,000
928 Main St. is at the heart of the downtown National Historic District. The Bastrop Chamber of Commerce is located across the street and the Bastrop Visitors’ Center is just down the block. The Art Institute of Austin is relocating across the street to a building currently under construction. Walkablity is the key to downtown Bastrop. Main Street feature small shops, restaurants and old-fashioned architecture of Texas towns at the turn of the last century. There is curb-side parking in front of the building and two city parking lots at the end of the block.
For the last 10 years a wine and gift store has occupied the downstairs portion of the building. The double antique doors lead to the large open show room. There is also a space that is currently used as a tasting/gathering room, an original bank vault used as a display area, a former kitchen, an office, another original bank vault currently used for storage and a public restroom. The exposed brick walls, and high ceilings give character to the space. The gathering area is decorated with corrugated metal walls and an open ceiling blending the look of today with the history of yesteryear. Bastrop Central Appraisal District taxes records the square footage of the downstairs at 2300 square feet.
The original exterior iron staircase was restored and retrofitted to code in 2016 and leads to the 1100 square feet (BCAD)space upstairs. The seven-room space upstairs contains many original features including long-leaf pine floors, wide floor moldings, window and door moldings, windows, doors and transom windows over several doors. The high ceilings are bead-board and are accented by beautiful, on-trend chandeliers. There is a public bath with plumbing for a future shower.
Citizens State Bank opened its doors in this building in February 2011 and continued to do business in this location until 1974. Judge Paul Page was President of the bank from 1909 until 1945 and his law office occupied the second floor. Wikipedia includes Larry D. Moore’s 2005 photo of this building as an iconic “main street” image. This area of the Bastrop commercial district was listed on the National Register of Historic Properties on December 22, 1978.
Downstairs: 2,400 SF (bcad)
Upstairs: 1,100 SF (bcad)